Safeguarding Policy Statement
We believe that everyone should be able to participate in, and enjoy, physical activity in a safe environment, and be safeguarded from harm through a duty of care.
parkrun acknowledges that children and some adults can be particularly vulnerable to abuse and we accept responsibility to take reasonable and appropriate steps to ensure their safety and welfare.
We acknowledge our duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and adults at risk. We are committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, relevant local government guidance, and complies with best practice. parkrun is committed to collaborating with law enforcement, social services, local services, and other relevant agencies, in accordance with their procedures.
The Safeguarding Policy recognises that the welfare and interests of children and adults at risk are paramount in all circumstances. It aims to ensure that regardless of age, ability or disability, gender, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, socio-economic background, everyone:
- Has a positive and enjoyable experience at parkrun in a safe environment
- Is protected from abuse whilst participating in parkrun
As part of our Safeguarding Policy, parkrun will:
- Promote and prioritise the safety and wellbeing of children and vulnerable adults
- Ensure appropriate action is taken in the event of incidents of, or concerns about, abuse, and provide support to those who raise or disclose the concern
- Ensure that confidential and accurate records of all safeguarding concerns are maintained and securely stored
- Ensure robust safeguarding arrangements and procedures are in operation
- Continue to keep events simple, and take a common-sense approach, in order to minimise risk
The Safeguarding Policy is publicly available via safeguarding.parkrun.com and regularly shared via our communications channels (both internal and public-facing).
The procedures and guidance laid out are mandatory for everyone involved in parkrun. We ask all parkrun staff, ambassadors, event directors and trustees to familiarise themselves with this Safeguarding Policy so that parkrun events around the world are delivered to the highest possible standard with safeguarding prioritised at all times.
This Policy is reviewed regularly (at the very least annually), in order to maintain best practice.